What We've Been Up To
Life has been pretty normal lately. This past weekend, I spent some time painting Brooklen's room. I am re-decorating it. Yes, you read that right; I am RE-decorating it. I guess I didn't do a very good job the first time because only six months after his birth, I am already making changes. It's not that I am terrible at decorating, it's just that it sometimes takes me several tries. Not a good thing. Sometimes, I fantasize about going back to school for interior design. Life would be easier (and less expensive) if I made good decisions the first time around. I'll post more pictures of the room later, but for now . . . a look at the wall color. The walls were already a dark brown; we added a horizontal green stripe.
Saturday night, we went out to dinner with Brooklen. While it was nice to get out, it was not very enjoyable being at a restaurant with a baby. I think that Rob and I switched places 4 or 5 times throughout the dinner. Just imagine us moving our bodies, our plates, our drinks, our silverware, and our coats across the table multiple times . . . what a mess! A short anecdote from the evening also captures my frequent incompetence as a mother. As we sat down, I scanned the table for a quick fix to keep the baby quiet. "Aha," I thought, "this slim plastic packet of splenda will do just fine." A few minutes later, while caught up in conversation with Rob, I heard gagging. Brooklen was choking. The splenda packet, which I thought was plastic, was actually paper, and had disintegrated in his mouth. Talk about a sugar high! I fished the paper out of his mouth (which required further gagging caused by my fingers) and scanned the room to quickly count all of the people who had observed my stupidity. Luckily, I don't think many noticed (the benefit of being in a restaurant on a Saturday night when it is loud and busy). Despite the unpleasant moments of the evening, we had a good time and good food, and as always, I adore being with my boys.

Lastly, Brooklen has moved on to baby food. The high chair came today, and he has officially become a "big boy" in my eyes. It is bittersweet to see him grow so fast; I love watching him learn new things, but I am sad that he is not a newborn baby anymore. Currently, he likes sweet potatoes, rice cereal, and apples. Later this week, I plan to puree peas. Cross your fingers that he doesn't fight green vegetables.

8 comments:
Ah yes - eating out with the kids. We have two screaming girls, so Bertrand just flat refuses to eat out with them. We go it alone unless we're eating at a very noisy place.
However, I do attempt it on occasion with girlfriends and it's a three-ring circus, which usually results in several people shooting me dirty looks for bringing babies to the restaurant when they're trying to enjoy a nice meal. Chloe has a high-pitched, ear-piercing scream and she's not afraid to use it. All I have to say is - you've never seen anyone move as fast as I do when those lungs get going on that girl. I'm like lightning!
I envy you that you're at the fun stage - just starting out - one adorable kid. (SIGH) And I envy you that you get to decorate. I need to own a house again so I can paint.
First, I wanted to let you know that your little boy is adorable. Second, I am with you on decorating (and I went to school for it). We have lived in our condo for almost 2 years now and I have re-decorated it 3 times and I am still not satisfied, but if I make any other changes I think Andy will leave me...just kidding, well partly.
I did run into a blog the other day that gives you so many great room ideas along with lots of great color schemes, if I run across it again I will send you the link.
Audrey
We used to entertain the boys with sugar packets as well. On the upside you never have to buy dessert.
I took a photography class a couple of years ago for fun, so when I dig the books out of the box I will let you know the titles. I am sure you could get them for next to nothing on Amazon.
I will pick up that book, thanks for the suggestion. My last book was 1776, so I looking for something completely different (not that I didn't love 1776, because I did, I am a huge history buff). I would just like a change.
The joys of eating out with kids. We have learned to pick restaurants that are very kid friendly (ie: lots of noise with a lot to look at). While not the healthiest of options, Red Robin is our current favorite. By the way, Brooklen looks so cute in his highchair. Good luck with the peas!
Ok, I'm an idiot....I just realized Brooklen is sitting in a restaurant highchair. Good luck anyway! :)
Splenda packets are a lot better than knives and forks on the safety scale. It's always a little uncomfortable eating out when a child is throwing knives at you.
Hey Adrienne. I tagged you. Copy the post from my blog and paste it. I command you. Well....I'm inviting you. Hope you'll do it. It's fun to learn the little things about people.
Post a Comment