"Understand Me Please"
Since I have recently had "baby on the brain," I have started to really pay attention to baby-related media coverage. I have been especially intrigued with the ideas that center around communication with babies. Oprah did a segment today on Dunstan Baby Language, a method which relies on learning how to identify what a baby wants by listening to their cry. While I think Rob and I have nailed some of this, the author specifically describes how the sound of a cry is produced based on a reflex related to the infant's need. For example, when a baby is hungry they will cry "Neh." The sound is produced when the tongue is pushed up on the roof of the mouth and the sucking reflex is triggered. After 3 months, a babies vocalization matures and turns into babbling, so this information is most critical during those first three months. While I am cynical about almost any new idea, I think I'm going to check out the book anyway and see for myself.
2 comments:
I think the sign language idea is actually really good. Keira did that with Kale and he started talking early and now he's only like...3 and he talks really well. She had him watch the Signing Times videos. I'm definitely gonna do that with Ryder. I think it works. Plus when they want something they'll sign rather than whine.
We're definitely going to try some sign language as well. I've heard it really helps cut down on tantrums (supposedly caused by frustration because they can't communicate). A good book to check out is Baby Signs. The signs are really easy to learn because they're so intuitive (the author makes up some easier signs instead of using ASL ones). The book also has some really cute stories about babies signing; I think it seems really neat to be able to communicate with your baby so early.
My friend Christi is trying the EC thing and having pretty good luck with it. I'm hoping to learn from her experiences. Her baby was just born so I have a few months to watch her in action before we have to try it ourselves! There are some good books about that too, one is called Diaper Free, I think.
Post a Comment