Thursday, November 8, 2007

This Post is for Tara and Ivy

Warning: This post may be excessively boring to most readers.


During my first year of the MBA program, I lived in a wonderful condo with Tara and Ivy. Over the course of our year as roommates, these girls were introduced to an odd, and sometimes annoying habit of mine . . . I clean A LOT. It became a conversation piece to discuss the the 5:00 am cleaning "parties" that I had with myself. And, I can still visualize images of Ivy gathering her valuables and fleeing to her bedroom in fear as I burst from my bedroom at the start of one of my "cleaning storms." I am quite sure, that this habit caused my roommates to ask themselves if there was something severely wrong with me.

Since that year, I am dissappointed to report tht my habit has only gotten worse. Just a couple of weeks ago, I decided to do a mental assessment of my current cleaning habits. This is what I concluded:

1) I clean my kitchen floor at least 2 times everyday. This includes sweeping and getting down on my hands and knees to wipe every wood panel with cleaner.
2) I clean my kitchen countertops at least 4 times a day.
3) I usually vacumn the house everyday.
4) I clean our bathrooms everyday.

So, I'm sure that most people would agree that this is a bit excessive; my former roommates, would probably say that they would expect nothing less from me. Regardless, I have recently started to analyze whether or not this habit should be addressed. Not only does it take an incredible amount of time away from other daily activities, but I'm pretty sure that it might make other people uncomfortable, as they wonder whether or not I have issues! My only conclusion is to throw this habit among the host of other things that I, and the rest of the United States, reserve for "New Year's resolutions." I doubt much will come of this attempt, since New Year's resolutions are usually dismissed by February, but it's worth a try.

(Tara and Ivy, I hope you found this entertaining. I really only posted my "inner ramblings" because I thought that you might be interested in an update on this habit).

5 comments:

Anonymous November 12, 2007 at 3:51 PM  

LOL...I think it might be a curse....I am a little obsessive with cleaning myself...not that it shows because I have 4 kids who constantly mess it up. I vacuum sometimes twice a day and shampoo my carpets about once a month. I pull my sectional apart every couple of weeks and clean out and vacuum under it and under all of the cushions...sometimes more often if needed. I hate mopping so this only get done about once a week...sick...I know, but at least you know you're not alone...LOL! I think a lot of people have this sickness!

Tara November 13, 2007 at 12:30 AM  

Hilarious and I can't believe you've gotten worse. This might need counseling or something :) What's even funnier is that Amanda actually does something similar so you're not alone in your craziness. I used to think I was a really clean person until I lived with you two.

Adrienne November 13, 2007 at 1:02 PM  

How's this for a remedy. You never get a larger house until you are cured.
-Rob

ivyk November 18, 2007 at 2:51 PM  

OH MY GOSH I LOVE ADRIENNE WHEN SHE POSTS THINGS FOR ME!!! I remember those Adrienne footsteps so early in the morning... dang gina.

ivyk November 18, 2007 at 2:51 PM  

OH MY GOSH I LOVE ADRIENNE WHEN SHE POSTS THINGS FOR ME!!! I remember those Adrienne footsteps so early in the morning... dang gina.