Alpha Baby
My parents always told me that I would someday have a daughter that would match me in feistiness. Lately, I have decided that one might be able to blame my "type-a-ness" more on my first-born status than on my gender. At least that theory would explain why my son is, what I have conveniently coined, an "alpha baby." What, you say? He appears to be a perfectly calm and collected child. Right?
Wrong! That is because, I have strategically not posted pictures of this side of my child. That is . . . until now.
Let me assure you that I spend quite a bit of my day looking at the above face. I am not sure how a child can only be four months old, and already know how to throw a tantrum. Yes, you read that right; he throws TANTRUMS. When he does not get his way, usually when we are not playing with him or feeding him (because adults have other things that they have to do during the day) or when we are trying to get him to go to sleep, the monster comes out in him. At church, I watch other small babies whimper for a couple of minutes at a time. My baby; he doesn't whimper, he screams. Though I don't think his mood is entirely due to his personality (first he had colic, and now he is teething), he is definately feisty.
So, back to my original claim. As I think about all of the first-born children that I know, more often than not, they have a strong type A personality (you know who you are). With that said, I have decided that my son is no different. I did a quick google search (and by quick, I mean I only looked at the first page of results), and I was unable to confirm my theory. However, what I did find was interesting and pleasing. If you are curious, you can check it out here. For Brooklen's sake (okay, and for mine too), I hope it is true!
P.S. Mom, you also always told me that I would have a daughter that would fight with me when I tried to do her hair. Lucky for you, I had a baby boy with a lot of hair, who has put up a fight about his hair since he was born.
3 comments:
I agree totally. While you are definitely the most controlling due to your oldest sibling status, I do believe that you out of all of us kids are the smartest and most CEO potential.
He is SO cute..and I do agree with the firstborn theory. Ashton was and still is the child that will one day drive me to drink..LOL. She is stubborn and strong-willed for sure. Ashton turns 8 next week and STILL throws tantrums...and I mean TANTRUMS! It is extremely embarrassing, but I have yet to learn a method to stop the behavior...good luck with your little guy...good thing he is so cute huh! LOL
Okay, let me throw in a little curve ball. My oldest is not alpha at all. He is so laid back, calm, not a care in the world. My MIDDLE child is demon spawn. She's been banned from nursery. She is so fiesty and bull-headed. That girl knows what she wants and when things don't work out for her - LOOK OUT! I love her to death, but she makes me work the most. I'm trying to figure out how to direct her personality to do good. On a side note, I was told pediatricians say you can start disciplining at age 6 months. When the baby screams for no good reason, you put them in bed until they calm down and then they can come back out. Eventually they learn that you don't tolerate screaming for no reason. I do it with my youngest and she's toning down a bit now.
Post a Comment