Donuts and Dumbells
As my title states, I hope that this blog will truly reflect the diversity of my thoughts and my memories, and not just be about my baby. While I absolutely love my son, I hope to record other information as well.
With that said . . . I absolutely love to cook. I try to use new recipes at least 3 times a week, and I collect and archive the ones that we really like. Despite this hobby, however, I do NOT like baking. I say this, primarily for two reasons:
1) I hate measuring. When I cook I rarely use measuring cups or measuring spoons. Sometimes this is because I am just lazy and other times it is because I prefer to cook to my taste. For instance, if a recipe calls for 1 teaspoon of chile powder or pepper flakes, I will usually add more like 2 tablespoons of the stuff (my poor husband always has to eat with a BIG glass of water next to him).
2) I do not like having goodies around our house. If I am baking, I must give 90% of the product away, otherwise I will eat it; I have no self-control.
So, lately I have developed a new hobby of perusing food blogs. Because of this, I have developed a dangerous desire to bake. In the last few weeks, I have made cupcakes, cookies, and now . . . (drumroll, please) . . . donuts.
Yesterday, I was reading Milk and Cookies and I came across a wonderful recipe for baked donuts. Because I have a severe aversion for fried foods (I will NOT eat them), I can not remember the last time that I even tasted a real donut. So, I was thrilled when I realized that there is another way to enjoy this delectable dessert. Of course, baked donuts don't taste at all like fried donuts, but they are still very enjoyable. They turned out wonderful, and now I am tempted to try a yeast version of these baked treats.
With this new baking hobby in mind, luckily, we have also been trying to re-establish a workout routine. We have not gotten gym memberships in Michigan, so we have been trying to run a couple of times a week. In addition, I have tried to find some time to do some pilates during the day. Unfortunately, Brooklen does not just like to watch; he wants to participate. So, I have recently discovered that I can use him as a 15-lb weight. What better way to tone a post-pregnancy body than to use the baby? Clever, huh? What would I do without my little man?
2 comments:
Ok, I want you to send me all the good recipes you find. I'm sort of getting sick of everything I make. I should send you some of Amanda's too. She really is an amazing cook.
Ade - you are a hot mom.
Post a Comment