Thursday, December 6, 2007

Advent Calendar


This year I decided it was time that we started creating holiday traditions for our family. I love the idea of advent calendars, but I wanted the idea to be more than just a way for us to gain some extra holiday pounds. Instead, I wanted to make the whole countdown process "interactive." After searching several blogs,I concluded that I would wrap up treats and a holiday activity for us to open and do each day through the month of December. So far we've done things like:

1) Go to Starbucks for warm drinks (I got apple cider, Rob got peppermint hot chocolate)

2) Watch a Christmas film

3) Make homemade marshmallows and hot cocoa (YUMMY)

4) Go buy a new Christmas CD to listen to (which we are going to do today)

While the idea is not completely evolved, I think it has some good potential. I didn't include several of my ideas this year because I did not feel like they would be very fun until we have older children (like making a real gingerbread house, which I really want to do, but I just don't think is worth all of the work for just Rob and I). Other ideas (going to outdoor Christmas events put on by the city) are just no feasible with a little baby. Despite these roadblocks, I am looking forward to getting in to the holiday spirit by celebrating just a little bit everyday.

3 comments:

Megan December 6, 2007 at 12:02 PM  

Sounds like you are having too much fun! One outdoor family activity I like to do is the Wayne County Christmas lights (it's not really outdoor since you drive in your car the whole time). I think your little man would really enjoy all the different light displays! Good luck filling up all your advent days!

Brittni Schroeder Photography December 7, 2007 at 5:40 AM  

I love this idea. I am going to steal it.

Anonymous December 7, 2007 at 3:24 PM  

First of all....LOVE STARBUCKS....really good hot chocolate! Christmas is just awesome....everything is lit up...the smells are amazing...and the gift giving just gets better and better. I love the holidays....I bought an advent calendar for my kids and they LOVE it....they check it first thing every morning wondering what will be inside each little door...so fun!